Is a Black Belt a piece of black cloth you wear around your dobuk or gi while you attend and train in class?
Is a Black Belt a certificate you paid for and completed a few hour grading?
Is a Black Belt a tough guy that can beat up everyone they come into contact with?
Is a Black Belt a person who runs a martial arts school and has students recite stuff that doesn’t matter and expects others to bow down to them?
I think and I know a TRUE Black Belt is far greater than that.
True Black Belts are;
- Role models for everyone to follow
- They are teachers that don’t hold anything back
- they are the ones that stay calm when everyone is freaking out
- they are the ones that dedicate their lives to a better way of living
- They are the ones that look for ways to help out their community
- They all have at least one area of expertise in their art
- They are open to many different ideas
- The are the ones that see the ultimate truths among all styles
- They are the ones that need to be tough when the time is right
- They are the ones that are gentle when appropriate
- They are stepping stones for their students
- They are the ones willing to do things that no one else will do because they know what it takes to get to the next level
- They are disciplined
- They are artists
- They are scholars
- They understand how not to use their physical skills
- They do not seek fighting
- They not nothing to prove
- and this list could go on and on
Master Jonathan Field