Original martial arts was an ancient way of hand to hand combat later followed by fighting methods that used hand to hand techniques as well as weapons ranging from farm tolls to actual weapons designed for warfare and battle. Through thousands of years of trial and error, many systems of martial arts have developed and new systems are still being created to this day. In history people need to know how to fight and defend themselves from invaders of other tribes, territories, and countries. But martial arts also developed in a way of life for many warriors and non warriors alike. It also became a means of exercise for the mind, body, and spirit.
Martial Arts continues to grow and develop with each generation but sometimes people get mixed up as to what martial arts is today. Some see it as just a way of fighting so therefore comparing one style to another and claiming one is better. This however is a shortsighted view point of what martial arts is. Below is a list of some of the things that I a Martial Arts Master Teacher believes martial arts is.
- Many different ways to physically defend yourself, loved ones, and country
- A form of physical exercise
- A form of self discipline
- A method to develop soliders and warriors
- A spiritual way of living
- A way to express ones’ self
- Self Exploration
- Self Mastery
- Competitive Sport depending on the art
- A way of developing ones’ mind
- A tool to develop good character
- A means of reducing ones’ stress
- A sense of self purpose
- A way of creating a stronger more powerful you
- A chance to help others
- A healthy lifestyle
- Peace development
- and much much more.
Martial Arts is about far greater things than most can imagine.
Master Jonathan Field