Why should someone in the martial arts especially a striking style practice the art of breaking?
Why would someone want to breaking bricks, wood boards, concrete, and various other materials that appear harder than the human body?
Here is a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head:
- To test the power of any given strike
- To test the accuracy of a strike
- To test their physical conditioning
- To test their mental conditioning
- To test their spiritual conditioning
- To develop speed
- To develop power
- To develop self confidence
- To develop mental toughness
- To humble ones’ self
- To increase ones’ inner strength
- To understand how the laws of physics come into play’
- To demonstrate how much power the human body can generate
- To really know if your self defense techniques would work in reality
- and so forth…..
These are just some of the reasons why a person may practice the art of breaking. It should not be to show off. It should not be to feed ones’ ego. It should not be to impress others. Breaking is something very personal. Yes we do it for belt testing as well as demonstrations and competitions but its’ more personal. At least it should be. Breaking is just one of many ways in which a person can strive for personal excellence.
Master Jonathan Field