As the leaves change colour and the air turns crisp, fall is the perfect time to cozy up with a good book. For kids, it’s a season filled with wonder and excitement as they watch the world transform around them. To help your young readers celebrate autumn, we’ve compiled a list of 25 must-read books that capture the spirit of fall, from pumpkin patches to Halloween adventures. Whether you’re looking for picture books or chapter books, there’s something here for every age and interest.
- The Little Scarecrow Boy by Margaret Wise Brown – Follow the charming journey of a young scarecrow.
- The Pumpkin Book by Gail Gibbons – Learn all about the life cycle of a pumpkin.
- Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert – Embark on an artistic journey with leaves.
- The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan and Jan Berenstain – Join the bears on their spooky adventure.
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson – A delightful story of friendship and magic.
- The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle – Discover a spider’s web of autumn activities.
- Corduroy’s Best Halloween Ever! by Don Freeman – Join Corduroy for Halloween fun.
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving (abridged for children) – An adapted classic for the spooky season.
- The Biggest Pumpkin Ever by Steven Kroll – A tale of two mice and one enormous pumpkin.
- Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson – Follow Fletcher the fox as he helps leaves find their way home.
Early Readers and Chapter Books:
- Owl Moon by Jane Yolen – A beautiful story of a girl and her father’s owl-watching adventure.
- The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall – Discover the magic of growing apples for pie.
- Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson – A heartwarming story of gratitude.
- The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams – A delightful Halloween tale.
- The Hallo-Wiener by Dav Pilkey – A humorous Halloween story starring Oscar the dachshund.
- The Berenstain Bears Harvest Festival by Mike Berenstain – Join the bears as they celebrate the harvest.
- In the Haunted House by Eve Bunting – A spooky adventure through a haunted house.
- How to Make Friends with a Ghost by Rebecca Green – A charming guide to ghostly friendships.
- The Scarecrow’s Hat by Ken Brown – Join Chicken as she goes on a quest for a scarecrow’s hat.
- The Berenstain Bears and the Prize Pumpkin by Stan and Jan Berenstain – Another classic Bear family adventure.
Classic Literature (for older kids):
- The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame – A timeless tale of adventure and friendship in the animal kingdom.
These 25 books offer a fantastic array of autumn-themed stories and Halloween adventures. Whether you’re reading with your child or they’re exploring these books on their own, these tales will help make this fall season truly magical. So, grab a blanket, a warm drink, and one of these books to create lasting memories with your young readers this autumn. Happy reading!
Grandmaster Jonathan Field
Cobourg Tae Kwon Do